Skip to main content

Introduction to a Future Game Developer & Film Producer

Introduction

A photo of me taken by James Reynolds
My name is Christopher Carney, and I'm an aspiring Creative Digital Media student hailing from IT Blanchardstown (soon to be one of three campuses as part of the Technological University of Dublin). I have interests in everything digital media from graphic design to filmography and everything in between. I'm a 'jack of all trades, master of none' who is constantly looking to challenge and better themselves, yearning to learn and gain experience in anything I can try my hand at.

Education

After I completed my leaving certificate in 2015 I went on to study in Dunboyne College of Further Education for two years.
In my first year I studied Sound Engineering & Music Production at FETAC Level 5 in 2015. This was a fun and active year long course in which I expanded on my previous knowledge of music production, and learned a lot about sound engineering. We organised a gig that year as part of our course in which all of the students worked together to set up the sound equipment and lighting, and we each took turns using the mixing desk while we also took turns performing at the event. One of my modules in this course was Web Development and that gave me an idea of what I would like to progress in to the following year.
I progressed on to Multimedia & Web Development at FETAC Level 6 in 2016. This year long course introduced me to Photoshop and taught me more about web development. We expanded on the HTML and CSS that we already knew and learned some basics about JavaScript that we went on to use in our websites that we made as part of our Web Development module. We also learned a lot about the history of different forms of media, and the history behind computers and other technology. 

I was not 100% sure what I wanted to progress on to after my Level 6 but I decided that IT Blanchardstown and their Creative Digital Media course would be the best for me as they had a range of modules from Web Development to Studio Photography and Storytelling & Narrative to Design Process. I started in September 2017.

During my first year (and first semester) we studied Digital Photography which started a passion in something I never thought I would enjoy. In February 2018 I bought my first camera, a Canon 1300D with a Canon 18-55mm IS2 lens and three months later I bought my second lens, a Canon 50mm STM prime lens. (I'll go more into my new found love for photography later on in my post.)

I thoroughly enjoyed my first semester, but my second semester was even better. Photography progressed into Studio Photography & Image Production and we began two modules that were completely new (and exciting) to me - Design Process and Storytelling & Narrative.

It was at the start of second semester that I began by taking photos with college friends and things I liked and it quickly progressed to me getting my first camera, uploading my photos to Instagram and having people message me to do different shoots. My Instagram has increased by 200 Followers over the summer period alone which was quite cool for me as I never thought that it would organically grow from those new posts alone. I have been commissioned for a few shoots and a few photo editing jobs since taking photography seriously, and it has been a great way for me to get to know people starting up their own clothing brands locally and make new contacts, and has also helped me hone my own skills by doing things I never would have done before!

Now that we're into second year of Creative Digital Media I am really optimistic of what is to come from the next few months as my group for the Group Project module has made great progress in only a few weeks and my other modules like Multimedia Development and Visual Design Elements have gotten really interesting. Here's to another year of learning new and exciting things!

Comments

  1. Hey Chris, love our introduction. You have a very detailed set up. This is a great start to the year, nice wording, love the picture you put it in. I really liked the little new school name drop at the beginning. Loved the little detail at the end. This blog was a very interesting blog and I hope to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris. It is so interesting to see how your interests grew as your education paths and course choices changed. Bringing the knowledge you had previously must have helped a lot in the course in IT Blanchardstown which is very beneficial. I love your in detail style of writing. It is informative without being overloaded with information. Love the blog and can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Chris! Really interesting to hear about your journey and how you ended up where you are now. Sound Engineering and Music Production sounds really interesting! bet it was quite difficult though. It sounds like you knew a lot about this area when you came into first year which I say was handy, I knew absolutely nothing about photoshop or anything like that. Love the layout of the blog! Really well-written too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey my dude :) nice blog man love the design of your page and how well you word your words . interesting how you completed a course before this one, as i did too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Chris, I laughed at the title but I like the confidence, Really interesting to read how your interest in Digital Media came about! I've seen your instagram before and can really see the improvement in your photography as your passion grew for it! Would love for you to showcase some of your work in this post as I think people would be interested too! Can't wait to see what other work you're able to showcase in the future for this module.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Chris. It's always good to listen to you talk, and your blog is no different, you are really articulate and well spoken. It's really interesting to hear about your time in Dunboyne, seems like you were well equipped coming into first year. I really like the phrase you used "Jack of all trades master at none", it really accurately describes you, always getting involved with anything you can and more times than not you're good at it. Good Luck with the year Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Chris:) You already look like a film producer so I think you'd make a great one! If you survived two years of Dunboyne you can get through anything let's be real. Good to hear you enjoyed digital photography in first year, I did too it was a great experience. You've definitely got a great eye for it too judging by your Instagram, keep it up! I hope you achieve everything you want, you've got this! Looking forward to reading more of your posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Chris! Very professional looking blog. It is very well written and gives a great insight into you and your achievements and interests. Great to see that you have found your passion in photography. Those jobs you have done however small they are will be a great addition to your portfolio and are overall experience to have behind you. Happy Birthday by the way hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Chris!
    I like that you that you found a love for photography. I can connect to that because I also love photography. Can't wait until I have enough money to buy my own. Did you ever consider doing any other courses after finishing you Level 6 and why did you choose ITB? I personally chose Creative Digital Media in ITB because I live so close to the college and the points were significantly lower than some of the larger universities. That's so cool that you reached 200 followers and have been commissioned to do some photography work. Have you ever considered making that a full-time job in the future? I really think you should continue with your photography because you appear to be very talented at it. I think I'm ok at photography, I'd love to start an Instagram with all my photography work when I get my own camera. I enjoyed reading your blog and found it very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Chris

    Really enjoyed reading through your introduction, a great post indeed. Its cool that you have such a passion for many things and your blog is really professional and I love the colours and layout. Its awesome you haver such a passion for phototgraphy and most of the other courses too. Cant wait to see what you do in the upcoming year and good luck with it man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Chris!,
    I really enjoyed reading through your introduction blog post today. I found it to be really interesting to discover more about you. I found your blog's layout to be very professional looking. It's clear that you put lots of effort into it. I think that its great that you have so much passion for photography and most of the other modules as well. Anyways,
    Great blog post! Good Luck with the rest of the course!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chris!
    Great blog and its interesting to learn more about you. Your time in DunBoyne sounds interesting and seemed to give you an early start for web development when you came to ITB. Great to see you gained a passion for photography and I enjoyed it myself last year. Enjoyed reading this blog and look forward to seeing more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Game Brainstorm

Game Brainstorms Four types of games that I would like to possibly develop in the future. 1. First-Person Shooter Inspired by the likes of classic shooter games from Doom (1993) to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) I would like to create a simple First-Person Shooter (FPS) game. Having started our Unity tutorials in Week 2 and creating a simple environment to run around in I think it would be an interesting challenge. There are scripts and tutorials  (from none other than Jimmy Vegas himself) available online on how to make a FPS game. He goes in depth on how to make a basic shooter and I feel that if I was to watch his videos it would be possible to bring that knowledge into my own environment. The video series even goes as far as to create spider enemies  that you can shoot in game. My overall idea would be to create a presentable and fully working level where you have to shoot all of the spiders to complete the level. I would also be thinking that I could have five &quo

Game Vision Statement

The purpose of this blog post is to create a vision statement for my game, so I can lay out my vision in sufficient detail to implement it. Skeleton Quest  is a first person adventure game made with the Unity 3D engine. You play as the hero Stephen, exploring the vast open world and fighting skeletons and spiders as you collect gems in your quest to clear the world of the undead. It is the second idea in this previous blog post . Genre:  First-Person Adventure Platform: Windows, Mac and Linux. The game will be playable with a keyboard and mouse, with possible adaptation for an Xbox One controller in the future. Gameplay: The game will handle similarly to other first person games like Skyrim, Fallout or Call of Duty. The player will have an open world in which to explore and collect a number of gems to complete the game. The game and controls will be thought to the player through pop up messages. To challenge the player they will need to explore the open world and go th