Skip to main content

Games MDA

Having completed near an hour of reading I have decided to document my findings on Games MDA (Mechanics, Dynamics & Aesthetics).

I started with watching the slide show video which summarised a lot of what LeBlanc, Hunicke and Zabek explored in their publishing of 'MDA Framework'. Mechanics, Dynamics & Aesthetics are defined as the following:

1. Mechanics - describes the particular components of the game, at the level of data representation and algorithms.
2. Dynamics - describes the run-time behaviour of the mechanics acting on player inputs and each others outputs over time.
3. Aesthetics - describes the desirable emotional responses evoked in the player, when she interacts with the game system.

The slideshow and article continue to go into detail on each. My understanding of each has improved greatly thanks to it. I understand Mechanics now as being ammunition or spawn points in games, Dynamics as being how a situation develops because of your in-game choices and Aesthetics as goals to achieve within our game like completing a level or winning against another player, rather than be what we view as being an aesthetic traditionally such as visual elements.

Aesthetics in this sense depend on our 'Eight Kinds of Fun' (this article I came across myself after reading about the eight kinds in the MDA Framework).

8 Kinds Of Fun - Source Article page 2
The three of these that stand out to me the most are Narrative, Expression and Submission.
Narrative is very relevant to us as Creative Digital Media students as modules like Storytelling & Narrative and Digital Video Techniques. Of course you or I know that Narrative is why we read a book or watch a movie because it gives the medium a purpose. This is the same for a majority of games, but what has opened my eyes a little is that I have never thought of the Narrative of sand box games. "The user tells the story through their actions". That quote alone sums up how I feel a lot of games should be, like Role Playing Games.
Expression is an obvious one for RPG games as you express how you feel as the character you're playing as. Everything from the actions you choose to perform in game, to hacking or trying to break a game in someway is the users own expression, or self expression for that matter.
Finally Submission is something I have only thought about with mobile games that are simple but nerve wracking experiences such as Adventure Capitalist and Fallout Shelter that restrict you with time restraints to replenish your items. Of course they offer you batches of these items for real world money to relieve you of the stress of the time restraints! I feel this is a great way to submit your consumers to your game and to make more money, but I do not like how it takes advantage of people in that regard.
My readings though have opened my mind to ways that other games get you to 'submit' to them and it seems to be more so that a game should be a "mindless past-time" rather than a money drain. This can mean "grinding" to get to a certain level in a game or to unlock specific rewards and it can be a driving force for people to constantly play your game. An example of this is how in Battlefield 1 I set personal challenges for myself to complete, like getting to Level 100 online, just because it's two third's of the way to the top level. This in turn means playing to such a high degree that I am earning the most points I can through completing objectives and killing other players. Like that I am submitting to complete the in game challenges as well as the personal challenges I set for myself and so I am likely to come back to play the game again as I find that challenging aspect fun.

Overall with the reading this week I feel I have a lot of food for thought, especially with how I can utilise this newly learned information in my own games and stories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to a Future Game Developer & Film Producer

Introduction A photo of me taken by James Reynolds My name is Christopher Carney, and I'm an aspiring Creative Digital Media student hailing from IT Blanchardstown (soon to be one of three campuses as part of the Technological University of Dublin). I have interests in everything digital media from graphic design to filmography and everything in between. I'm a 'jack of all trades, master of none' who is constantly looking to challenge and better themselves, yearning to learn and gain experience in anything I can try my hand at. Education After I completed my leaving certificate in 2015 I went on to study in Dunboyne College of Further Education for two years. In my first year I studied Sound Engineering & Music Production at FETAC Level 5 in 2015. This was a fun and active year long course in which I expanded on my previous knowledge of music production, and learned a lot about sound engineering. We organised a gig that year as part of our course in whi

Game Brainstorm

Game Brainstorms Four types of games that I would like to possibly develop in the future. 1. First-Person Shooter Inspired by the likes of classic shooter games from Doom (1993) to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (2007) I would like to create a simple First-Person Shooter (FPS) game. Having started our Unity tutorials in Week 2 and creating a simple environment to run around in I think it would be an interesting challenge. There are scripts and tutorials  (from none other than Jimmy Vegas himself) available online on how to make a FPS game. He goes in depth on how to make a basic shooter and I feel that if I was to watch his videos it would be possible to bring that knowledge into my own environment. The video series even goes as far as to create spider enemies  that you can shoot in game. My overall idea would be to create a presentable and fully working level where you have to shoot all of the spiders to complete the level. I would also be thinking that I could have five &quo

Game Vision Statement

The purpose of this blog post is to create a vision statement for my game, so I can lay out my vision in sufficient detail to implement it. Skeleton Quest  is a first person adventure game made with the Unity 3D engine. You play as the hero Stephen, exploring the vast open world and fighting skeletons and spiders as you collect gems in your quest to clear the world of the undead. It is the second idea in this previous blog post . Genre:  First-Person Adventure Platform: Windows, Mac and Linux. The game will be playable with a keyboard and mouse, with possible adaptation for an Xbox One controller in the future. Gameplay: The game will handle similarly to other first person games like Skyrim, Fallout or Call of Duty. The player will have an open world in which to explore and collect a number of gems to complete the game. The game and controls will be thought to the player through pop up messages. To challenge the player they will need to explore the open world and go th